Monday, November 20, 2006

Wheat-Free, Dairy-Free Baking Experiments Begin

This weekend marked the advent of a new research project. I want to make tasty wheat-free, dairy-free baked goods. I would also like to include whole grains if possible, and if not, at least include whole-grain flours. I won't be using refined sugar, or any sugar cane products. I'll be using rice syrup, maple syrup and agave nectar. This weekend I make a cranberry/raisin pie with cooked buckwheat as a crust and finely chopped almonds as a topping. Mike couldn't get over the strange whole grain crust, but I liked it. He also didn't like the sourness of the cranberries as much as I did. But ah well. I ate most of it anyway. I also made some baked quash muffin like items. I was trying to stick with the whole grain theme and mixed sweet brown rice (cooked), some maple syrup, raisins and cooked buttercup squash together. I scooped the mixture into greased muffin tins, topped with chopped pine nuts and baked. The rice particles got a little hard, but they were kind of like individual little squash puddings. Sunday I tried my hand at using the other half of my butternut squash to make muffins. I used 100% whole buckwheat flour and a little baking soda. I stuck with the squash-raisin theme and added some chopped walnuts. For liquid I used corn oil and a little water. I didn't think about an emulsifier (the role eggs usually fill) so the muffins came out a little flat. I've been fishing around the internet, however, and I'm coming up with some good ideas. I'll post more this week and I'll include some photos of this new experimental phase. Good times are ahead.

Labels:

3 Comments:

At Wednesday, 22 November, 2006, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Another nice sweetening option is date/prune puree: soak the dates/prunes/raisins in a bit of water, then blend, rice, mash, or puree them. Prune puree especially can take the place of both the sweetener and most of the oil in a sweet bread/muffin/cookie recipe.

I have had good luck with lecithin granules as an emulsifier (they are typically soybean-based). I'm interested to see what you come up with!

 
At Wednesday, 22 November, 2006, Blogger well_fed_chemist said...

Lorien:
Thanks for the tips. I'll definitely try that the dried fruit puree. I'll also check out the lecithin granules as well. This evening I tried milled flax and hot water in a 1 to 3 ratio as an emulsifier. The jury is still out on the results however.
Wishing you a Dee a happy thanksgiving!!
XO,
-sasha

 
At Friday, 24 November, 2006, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I love prunes!

Happy Thanksgiving to you and Mike as well!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home