Wednesday, November 22, 2006

Lemon/Lime Scallops are Tasty!


Steamed and Stir Fried Citrus Scallops with Brown Rice and a Green Salad with Carrots and Lentils.
Eating up the seafood bounty from Saturday!
Introduction:
This meal was made on Monday, the day before Mike’s birthday. I was busy running around trying to find him a gift and also making time to hit the gym for a little while. I knew I wouldn’t have a lot of time to prepare a meal, and I also knew that going out was not an option because the scallops we purchased on Saturday needed to be eaten! So with an eye towards cooking a speedy dinner upon my return to the apartment I asked Mike to cook up some brown rice. It seemed likely that I could come up with something quick and easy to do with the scallops and some veggies when I finally got back as long as we didn’t have to wait 45 minutes to cook up some grain.
I braved a few moments in the mall to pick out a fluffy, cozy robe for Mike and managed to squeeze in a 40 minute workout at the Y. I returned to the apartment and found mike standing in front of two huge bags of veggies, wearing an apron and a chef’s hat, just sort of staring at the ingredients with a befuzzled look upon his face. Sometimes cooking is just too overwhelming when we’re exhausted or particularly hungry! But a big pot of brown rice was all cooked up and I was excited to get my hands on the lovely scallops. Mike suggested cooking the scallops with the bok choy and mung bean sprouts that we’ve had on hand for several days. I couldn’t have agreed more!
Basic Idea
I cooked some finely minced onions and a jalepeno pepper in a little oil in our new wok (thank you mom!)
I then squeezed in the juice from one lemon and one lime.
I added a capful of fish sauce and a generous squeeze of agave nectar.
I also chopped some dulse sea vegetable and added it to the liquid.
Then in went the scallops (one pound) and I covered to cook in the juice for a little while.
As soon as the scallops were just about done I added the leaves from several bok choy plants, and cooked until just finished.
We garnished with small radishes and cilantro

The salad was carrots, onion, cooked lentils and red oak lettuce.
The vinaigrette was sherry vinegar, olive oil and salt.


YUM!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home