Wednesday, November 29, 2006

Solo Stir Fry


Sorry I’ve been out of touch for a few days. Mike has been working late and catching dinner out at a few of Bangor’s local eateries. As a result I’ve been eating stir fries without much panache. But having a nice wok to work with does make a difference. (Thank you mom!) I’ve also been taking time to work on the baked goods. My current project is aimed at creating mini-pies with a flourless crust and tasty fillings. So far the best success I’ve had with the “crust” is with a ¾ part millet to ¼ part buckwheat mixture pressed into an oiled muffin tin. I recently tried adding some finely chopped walnuts and sunflower seeds to the crust mixture. The trouble seems to lie in the fact that the whole grains, when they are baked, can get a little too crunchy, so that the texture is unpleasant. The fillings I’ve tried so far are: a baked squash custard and a cranberry/raisin mixture. The squash was good, made with soymilk and tofu, but it was a bit too creamy for my taste. I loved the cranberry/raisin mixture, but it was a bit tart for most people’s tastes. Mike mentioned to me yesterday that I might be spinning my wheels because I don’t even like sweets, so why try to make them. Good question mike! Ah well, the chemist in me wants to succeed even if my taste buds long for something savory.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home